Morgan Contractors helped make dreams come true with the completion of an ADA-compliant, 26.5-acre expansion of Montgomery County’s Civitan Park. The expanded park now features a dedicated Buddy Ball field known as the Rotary Field of Dreams, along with a playground designed and equipped to support citizens with special needs.
The expansion, which opened on Sept. 9, 2019, increased the total park acreage by more than 50%, and included more than a mile of walking and running trails, a multi-purpose athletic field, four new baseball/softball fields, a soccer field, a concessions facility and three covered pavilions to serve park users.
The barrier-free park expansion was the culmination of a long-time dream of Montgomery County government, local civic organizations and business leaders. Morgan Contractors was part of a group of participating contractors that brought this Field of Dreams to a beautiful and functional reality. Key participants in the project included:
- County Mayor Jim Durrett
- Montgomery County Commission
- Clarksville Rotary Clubs
- Clarksville-Montgomery County Community Health Foundation
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- County Departments, including: Engineering, Parks and Recreation and Facilities
- Lyle Cook Martin Architects
- DBS & Associates Engineering
- Dale Hoff and Thomas Design
- Southland Construction.
“One of the best rewards of this business is being able to see the community enjoying the finished project,” said Superintendent Lance Morgan. “It lets you know the visioning, planning, hard work and cooperation of many interested parties can provide a huge pay off for thousands of residents and visitors.”
Morgan Contractors’ site preparation at the St. Bethlehem park began in May 2018, with crews overseeing several aspects of the multi-phase project, including:
- Clearing areas of trees, undergrowth and debris.
- Moving approximately 150,000 yards of excavated material.
- Installing approximately 5,500 feet of storm drain and creating a storm water retention system.
- Adding a regulation ADA field with an all-rubber surface that can be used even after rain.