CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (11/25/2019) –A bit of Clarksville history was uncovered recently during the demolition of the Vulcan site downtown.
Morgan Contractors crews removed the black metal "Vulcan Corporation sign" and underneath found, literally set in stone, the engraving "The B.F. Goodrich Company."
B.F. Goodrich, at one time the largest manufacturing company in Clarksville, opened in 1939 with 500 employees, according to "Historic Clarksville."
The plant produced rubber products, and during World War II produced over 3.5 million pairs of shoe heels and soles per month and 10,000 gas masks per day.
Read the full story from The Leaf-Chronicle here.
(Photo provided by Don Morgan)